Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Amigurumi Scotties


Amigurumi Scotties
Originally uploaded by vicrochet



I absolutely ADORE amigurumi. I first starting noticing it last fall when visiting my favorite crochet communities. The creatures are whimsical, cute and often so-ugly-they-are-cute! I signed up for a class to learn more about the art.

What is amigurumi?

The Wikipedia explanation is: "Amigurumi (編み包み ?, lit. Knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.[1] Amigurumi are typically cute animals (such as bears, rabbits, cats, dogs, etc.), but can include inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features.

Amigurumi can be either knitted or crocheted. In recent years crocheted amigurumi are more popular and more commonly seen.
Amigurumi are usually crocheted or knitted out of yarn. The simplest designs are worked in spirals. In contrast to typical Western crochet the rounds are not usually joined. They are also worked with a smaller size hook in proportion to the weight of the yarn in order to create a very tight-looking fabric without any gaps through which the stuffing might escape.

Amigurumi are usually worked in sections and then joined, except for some amigurumi which have no limbs, only a head and torso which are worked as one piece. The extremities are sometimes stuffed with plastic pellets to give them a life-like weight, while the rest of the body is stuffed with fiber stuffing.
The pervading aesthetic of amigurumi is cuteness. To this end, typical amigurumi animals have an over-sized spherical head on a cylindrical body with undersized extremities."



My first creation was a pig. I still have him and my Scotties still want him! Next I started creating amigurumi dolls for my grand daughters. I made Muno and Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba (don't fret if you don't know what I am talking about - you have to have a 2-year-old in your life to "get it") for Christmas.

Brobee & Muno
Muno & Brobee

I couldn't ask for anything more...
Miss Emma having a spot o' tea with Muno and Brobee

Rosie, the little girl, came next and she went to my newest grand daughter, Evie.

Rosie
Rosie

But what of Amigurumi Scotties? I searched the internet for a pattern or an idea to make my favorite creature into, well, my other favorite creature. None could be found.

That is when my AmiScotties were born. I made my first one last November and decided to take him to our Scottish Terrier Club's Christmas party for feedback. I was surprised and thrilled at how well my little black Scottie creature was received!

I love making my AmiScotties. The letters I receive from new owners bring me joy! Even though they are not intended as dog toys Scotties seem to love them too:

Your little guy is so very cute.. Thanks so much. My two scottie have adopted him and the baby who is two would either like to sleep with him or tear him up and I think we both know the choice. I had to laugh at my older guy (who is going deaf), he is having a time adjust to his quiet world so he is not as perky as he used to be-plus the winter never ends! Anyway when I showed him the knitted guy (think I will name him the knitwit, same as my husband!) he looked happy and started to wag his tail! See, he makes both man and beast happy! He has found a good home! Becky


So, that is the story behind those "weird", square Scotties in my shop. All my Scottie dolls are made using the amigurumi technique whether they are round or square. I guess they are actually....Japanese Scottish Terriers?

AmiScottie - Dugan

2 comments:

  1. Vic, this is a wonderful story, not only about the wonderful crochet style of amigurumi (which I also have fallen in love with because it's so versatile and limited only my your imagination), but about your darling Scotties. Your passion and love for Scotties shows through your words, and your darling creations. Looking forward to many more of your Scottie style amigurumi.

    ReplyDelete